Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day of School!

The big day has come! It's bittersweet to have our first child starting school-- I am excited for Brighton, but sad that he is growing up so fast. Brighton is starting a pilot program at Stewart Elementary, so for the next 7 years he will be learning Mandarin Chinese as part of their Dual Immersion Program. That means he will have all-day kindergarten; half of the day they will have their classes in English, and the other half of the day they will be in Chinese.  We are all pretty excited about this fabulous opportunity.

All ready for school

His sisters are really going to miss him during the day

Standing outside his school for the flag ceremony with dad

They were asked to draw self-portraits for their teachers

Brighton showing off his badge (that's his name written in Chinese)

Mrs. Christensen, his English teacher

Ms. Zhao and Ms. Cui, his Chinese teachers

Surrounded by his classmates

5 comments:

Rachel said...

That really is an amazing opportunity for Brighton. I'm sure he'll thrive in that environment. Can't wait to hear about all he is learning.

Lillian said...

That is so cool! He really is so grown up, huh. I thought that when we saw you guys. He's such a big boy now. It's so exciting! But then I remember when he was just Ella's age and barely talking and it's so crazy to me. I'll have to call him sometime and ask him about school.

Lillian said...

Oh, and hey, at least he'll be super good at writing 漢字 for when he starts learning Japanese;)

davenportreport said...

Lisa, I just discovered your blog (from the Holts). Super cute. And way cool for Brighton. I didn't realize it would be all day. That is a big adjustment! Good luck.

rebecca allen said...

What a handsome and grown up kindergartener! He will do well.