Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

Translation: Keep room clean, soccer, learn to read books, Brighton

Chelsea's attempt to scratch out her goals

Our New Year's breakfast


Brighton had three servings!



At times like this we really appreciate the fact that our children can be exposed to two different cultures and traditions. New Years is the biggest holiday in Japan and it was a big deal in my family, so we try to celebrate it in our home with our kids as I did as a child. We woke up this morning to our traditional Japanese New Year's breakfast (ozouni and oshiruko with mochi), and then we all sat down and wrote out our New Year's resolutions. The kids both loved the ozouni, and although Chelsea enjoyed the sweet oshiruko, Brighton was not a fan of it. Chelsea was not too thrilled about her goals for 2008, but Brighton seemed to really embrace them and even put up his paper on the magnet board in his room so that he can remember to keep it up!

3 comments:

The Millers said...

I love that New Years is such a big deal for you guys -- fun family traditions!

Lillian said...

I'm jealous I didn't get to have some of your yummy ozouni! Iina~! And I really missed hanging out with your guys this year. Definitely next year, ne!

Lillian said...

oh, and I'm so proud of Brightie! That is so awesome he can write all of that and think of those things. Those are definitely good goals to work on this year:) LOVE YOU!